D/Objective-C Preliminary Design

Kagamin spam at here.lot
Thu Nov 4 04:37:25 PDT 2010

Michel Fortin Wrote:

> I posted on my blog a preliminary document outlining what I intent to
> implement in DMD to support the Objective-C object model.
>
> <http://michelf.com/weblog/2010/dobjc-preliminary-design/>
>
> Comments?

Do you require explicit selector declaration? I'm afraid, this will lead to a large duplication:

extern (Objective-C)
class NSComboBox : NSTextField
{
    private void* _dataSource;

    void insertItemWithObjectValue(ObjcObject object, NSInteger atIndex) [insertItemWithObjectValue:atIndex:];
    void insertItemWithObjectValue(ObjcObject object) [insertItemWithObjectValue:];
}

comboBox.insertItemWithObjectValue(val, idx); // [comboBox insertItemWithObjectValue:val atIndex:idx]
comboBox.insertItemWithObjectValue(val);      // [comboBox insertItemWithObjectValue:val]

compiler can build selector automatically from function signature.