D/Objective-C Preliminary Design

Michel Fortin michel.fortin at michelf.com
Thu Nov 4 05:09:48 PDT 2010

On 2010-11-03 23:28:38 -0400, Jason House <jason.james.house at gmail.com> said:

> What's the minimal set of O-C integration that would make your work
> usable? I'd try to get that in early and incrementally improve
> functionality.

That's a tricky question that depends on what you mean by "usable". I'd
say that supporting extern (Objective-C) classes and interfaces and
constructors is the minimal functionality to make things usable. But is
it acceptable to put into mainline DMD something that is scheduled to
work differently once I implement the rest, such as the memory
management section with automatic reference counting?

I'm know I should release things early to let those interested test it
and give me some feedback (and create bindings), but I'm not sure
whether it should be merged into the trunk so early. With Walter's
permission, I could publish my git repository to let people peek at the
code. I haven't done so before because it's a clone of the SVN
repository and it contains the backend too, which is under a less open
license.

--
Michel Fortin
michel.fortin at michelf.com