User feedback - recurrent runtime bug

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Thu Nov 4 07:08:52 PDT 2010

On 11/4/10 8:32 AM, simen wrote:
> I tried D some years ago and liked it's ideas but thought it too soon to
> jump in then.
>
> Call this try once.
>
> Then I came back about a year ago to try D version 2 and again found it
> also too early to jump in, but, admittedly, still liking the D concept.
> IIRC the reason I dropped out the second time was then to do with cyclic
> dependency problems that emerged when I tried converting a Java project
> to D just for fun.
>
> Call this try twice.
>
> A year later I try D version 2 to see if it has improved. Porting some
> rather simple Java code to D and compiling it without error, I am
> initially impressed that the SLOC metric is much smaller than the
> original Java code. So far, so good until running the simple app, the
> same runtime error message surfaces as per my second attempt a year ago:
>
> object.Exception: Cyclic dependency in module test
>
> Call this try twice again and now thrice shy.
>
>  From what can glean this does not need a new bug report being a known
> and still uncorrected problem.
>
> - simen

To make this quest successful, you may want to reduce the code to a
simple test case and submit it as a bug report or post it here. As the
error you're encountering is the only problem you're seeing whenever you
try your code and an infrequent one for others, it's not impossible it's
a usage error rather than a bug in the language or its implementation.
At any rate, just describing how you feel makes it difficult to pinpoint
and solve whatever matter you've been hitting.

Thanks for sharing,

Andrei