Spec#, nullables and more

Gary Whatmore no at spam.sp
Fri Nov 5 06:53:50 PDT 2010

bearophile Wrote:

> Ellery Newcomer:
>
> > hey, cool
> >
> > stumbled on sing# a while ago and thought it was intriguing, or at least
> > the fact that ms was using it to write an OS kernel
>
> It contains a ton of new computer science ideas :-) So it's interesting regardless its applications. (If you don't keep yourself updated with new computer science ideas, you can't keep being a productive programmer for many years).

Are you saying that Walter Bright or anyone else here isn't as productive as you are because we haven't read about the latest language research done between 1980 and 2010? Keeping yourself updated with new ideas also means pragmatic real world books, not just ivory tower research papers that usually aren't freely accessible without an expensive subscription:

http://www.amazon.com/Clean-Code-Handbook-Software-Craftsmanship/dp/0132350882/
http://www.amazon.com/Domain-Specific-Languages-Addison-Wesley-Signature-Martin/dp/0321712943/
http://www.amazon.com/D-Programming-Language-Andrei-Alexandrescu/dp/0321635361/
http://www.amazon.com/Lean-Architecture-Agile-Software-Development/dp/0470684208/