Spec#, nullables and more

Gary Whatmore no at spam.sp
Fri Nov 5 06:56:11 PDT 2010

Pelle Månsson Wrote:

> On 11/05/2010 02:39 PM, Kagamin wrote:
> > bearophile Wrote:
> >
> >> Spec# adds only few things to C# 2.0:
> >> - Non-nullable types;
> >
> > It's hard to tell, whether they fix anything. When you cast nullable to non-nullable, you get your runtime exception as usual, if you if out access to nullable (e.g. in delayed method), you get your runtime exception again or rather logical bug.
>
> Getting the error early is actually a lot better than getting the error
> late.

Getting the error early means that less code compiles and that makes the rapid development fail and turns it into a waterfall misery. It's important to make your tests run quickly in the background. One reason I prefer Python is that it let's me run even (semantically) buggy code, because syntactical correctness is enough. It really improves productivity.