Spec#, nullables and more

Gary Whatmore no at spam.sp
Sat Nov 6 13:23:39 PDT 2010

FeepingCreature Wrote:

> Walter Bright Wrote:
> > All that does is reinvent the null pointer seg fault. The hardware does this for
> > you for free.
>
> Walter, I know you're a Windows programmer but this cannot be the first time somebody has told you this - YOU CANNOT RECOVER FROM SEG FAULTS UNDER LINUX.
>
> Access violations are not a cross-platform substitute for exceptions.

You're missing the point. The reason for seg faults is to terminate the application as quickly as possible. The developer then fires up the debugger and fixes the app. Seg faults should never happen in production code. You only release when all seg faults are fixed. The builtin unit tests in D can guarantee this with 100% test coverage.