Spec#, nullables and more

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Nov 6 14:41:32 PDT 2010

steveh:

> citation needed. I've made software with 100% line and path coverage. No segfaults happened ever. Spent enormous time optimizing the code and its quality. In quality applications NPE/segfaults simply don't exist.

You are right, some citation is needed. I have seen or read many papers that talk about facing the null problem (I can list them if you want), but hard data is always not easy to find.

And by the way, I believe you. Bugs that manifest themselves through a null exception are probably the most common in Java code, but they aren't the harder to fix. Concurrency bugs are far harder to fix (or even to find) than null pointer exceptions. This thread is not about ways to avoid concurrency bugs (D uses message sending to avoid some concurrency bugs).

Bye,
bearophile