why a part of D community do not want go to D2 ?

Fawzi Mohamed fawzi at gmx.ch
Sun Nov 7 09:33:51 PST 2010

On 7-nov-10, at 13:05, Moritz Warning wrote:

> On Sat, 06 Nov 2010 23:11:59 +0000, bioinfornatics wrote:
>
>> hello,
>> I have a question (i would like understand), they are many important
>> people of D community who do not want go to D2, why ?
>>
>> thanks for answer
>
> - D2 trades complexity for more features
> - D2 has a lot of compiler bugs

Personally I am not "against" D2, in fact there are several features
that I would like to use (like real closures and template
constraints), some that could be useful, but are not critical (const/
pure), but for me D1 works better.
It is just about wanting to do a project *now*, D1 offers more
guarantees, like several working compilers, good support for 64 bit,
relatively stable libraries (tango).
I know that when looking for a new language one wants to go for the
latest and greatest, but I think that a largish project has more
chances of having success in D1 at the moment.
It does not mean that it is not possible to use D2 successfully,
others here are doing that, and with the recent focus of W & co on
stabilizing the toolchain and general interest in D2 the situation
might change, but it is not there yet.

Fawzi