Can non-nullable references be implemented as a library?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sun Nov 7 15:12:50 PST 2010

retard:

> I bet even the basic class/interface/exception system of D is too complex
> to explain for some members of the audience. You can't assume that the
> same people who *use* the language can/want to understand the
> implementation of the features.

You are right. The people that use the language&compiler don't need to understand it fully. So are nonnull references too much hard to use? Their syntax is simple. The limited typestate they need to be implemented well is easy to use by the programmer. The initialization of collections is simple enough to understand, in my opinion. So what's left is the delayed types. So in the end I think that you are right, once well implemented the nonnullables in D may be usable by normal programmers, despite they add some complexity to the language.

Bye,
bearophile