Apache "mod_d" needs C to instantiate D interpreter?

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Mon Nov 8 13:57:09 PST 2010

JFD schrieb:
> A potential "mod_d" Apache module would go a long way to promote D language to
> the web application world.
>
> But it seems that implementing a "mod_d" Apache module may require that C
> instantiates a D language interpreter (similar to Py_NewInterpreter() for
> Python), or do the functionality of RDMD with compiled code caching, but in C.
>  Is that possible?  (Presumably it might be possible to hack up a solution,
> but could there be an officially supported way?)
>
> I know that FastCGI with RDMD can do something similar, but a "mod_d" should
> have higher system performance and scalability.
>
> Thank you.  D is the best!  Keep up the good work.

A FastCGI solution could be used with other webservers as well.

I don't know how Apache modules work, but instantiating a D language interpreter
sounds strange, because D isn't an interpreted language.

"Interpreting" D code may work as well by compiling it when invoked (like rdmd
does).. but I don't know if you wanna do something like that on a web server.

It may be possible to code your web application in D and make it an apache
module, so you'd have one module per application..
Or maybe one could write a module that loads shared libraries that may be
written in D?

Cheers,
- Daniel