[nomenclature] systems language [OT] [NSFW]

Bruno Medeiros brunodomedeiros+spam at com.gmail
Tue Nov 9 07:27:22 PST 2010

On 30/10/2010 02:13, Walter Bright wrote:
> div0 wrote:
>> There's nothing special about a systems language; it's just they have
>> explicit facilities that make certain low level functionality easier
>> to implement. You could implement an OS in BASIC using PEEK/POKE if
>> you mad enough.
>
> I suppose it's like the difference between porn and art. It's impossible
> to write a bureaucratic rule to distinguish them, but it's easy to tell
> the difference just by looking at the two. "I know it when I see it!"

In the vast majority of cases, yes, but is it *always* easy to tell the
difference? Because if a bureaucratic rule was to made, it would have to
work for *all* cases, otherwise it would not be very useful.

Consider Chloe Sevigny's blowjob scene in the end of The Brown Bunny (an
art house film). Art or porno?
Or the photograph "Portrait of My British Wife" by Panayiotis Lamprou:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/artanddesign/2010/sep/17/panayiotis-lamprou-portrait-wife-photography
which will be displayed in the National Portrait Gallery. Art or porno?

-_-'

--
Bruno Medeiros - Software Engineer