The D Scripting Language

Daniel Gibson metalcaedes at gmail.com
Tue Nov 9 17:22:08 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 2:04 AM, Gary Whatmore <no at spam.sp> wrote:

> I think optimizing this particular test is important for the publicity of D. Once the scripting community acknowledges D, we could redesign it. We should make all current test cases one liners, if possible. I'm dreaming of a Linux system (Ubuntu) which uses dmd instead of bash to compile all init scripts. The system would boot in just a few seconds.

No it wouldn't. Booting doesn't take so long because you wait for
bash/dash to interpret the init scripts but because you wait for what
the init-scripts do (mount/fsck filesystems, start daemons, ...).
Sure, there's an overhead from bash (or dash, that at least debian
uses now and has fewer overhead), but it's not that significant.