why a part of D community do not want go to D2 ?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Wed Nov 10 03:43:06 PST 2010

Wed, 10 Nov 2010 11:56:18 +0100, Jacob Carlborg wrote:

> On 2010-11-10 00:00, Walter Bright wrote:
>> I agree. The reasons for the Tango split long ago, whatever the merit
>> of those reasons was, have long since passed. Producing another
>> incompatible split with D2 will not be of an advantage to anyone, and
>> will just give people reasons not to use D at all.
>>
>> Jacob has recently decided to help out with improvements to druntime; I
>> take that as a very welcome sign towards ending the differences.
>
> I don't want to increase any separation in the D community and would
> hope peoeple could agree more. I have no problems what so ever
> contributing both to Tango and Phobos/druntime. And I'm happy to license
> any of my code to whatever license would be need for a give D project.

A dual licensing scheme for all code might help a bit (since both parties
refuse to switch licensing). There are also

 - stylistic issues (OOP style structured Tango vs quick'n'dirty Phobos
API) -> this causes annoying technical incompatibilities

 - psychological issues (Tango's charismatic leaders vs dull politically
correct office persons and almost anynomous lone coders porting Boost
code written in other languages). I believe strong personalities like Jon
Harrop and Paul Graham actually have an overall positive effect. It's not
a big secret that Andrei has boosted D's adoption quite a bit - this has
more to do with the strong personality than technical issues.

 - project management issues (Tango uses trac heavily and the leaders
have modern project management skills, Phobos developers have developed a
new inefficient ad-hoc software process model without the big picture
'planning' phase and without any communication between the team and the
product owner)

 - platform issues (not everyone agrees D2 is a perfect upgrade route -
how is this even surprising? Look at the number of people *not* using D,
it shouldn't be a surprise that there are people who dislike D2, but like
D1)

 - an axe fight between some key persons. I believe this can be solved if
there weren't those other annoying problems.

These are all my subjective opinions. Feel free to throw the first rock,
after all I'm just a stupid troll.

For me the technical issues have the greatest priority. If I want a full
flexible Java style stream I/O interface and these kind of things, there's
no way in hell I'll let you shove the Phobos style ideology down my
throat. I'd have to create a "PhoTango" wrapper to actually use these.

The political issues aren't that interesting. If I'm coding in Java or
C#, I don't even know the names of the stdlib developers. Maybe Doug Lea.
But he left Oracle for political reasons..