Apache "mod_d" needs C to instantiate D interpreter?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Nov 10 12:23:22 PST 2010

"Radu" <rr at foo.bar> wrote in message news:ibe95h$gld$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 11/8/2010 11:45 PM, JFD wrote:
>> A potential "mod_d" Apache module would go a long way to promote D
>> language to
>> the web application world.
>>
>> But it seems that implementing a "mod_d" Apache module may require that C
>> instantiates a D language interpreter (similar to Py_NewInterpreter() for
>> Python), or do the functionality of RDMD with compiled code caching, but
>> in C.
>>   Is that possible?  (Presumably it might be possible to hack up a
>> solution,
>> but could there be an officially supported way?)
>>
>> I know that FastCGI with RDMD can do something similar, but a "mod_d"
>> should
>> have higher system performance and scalability.
>>
>> Thank you.  D is the best!  Keep up the good work.
>>

> My experience with Wt ( http://www.webtoolkit.eu/wt ) was quite nice.
>
> Mind that its more than a simple template system and brings quite a few
> advanced idioms to the table like signal/slots, components, adaptive
> degradation for rendering ( uses Ajax and server push were available ).
>

> They also have a nice set of ports for Java and Ruby, maybe D would fit
> nicely among them.

Very interesting. Reminds me of ASP.NET in that it tries to work at
"stateful widget" level, except (from a brief glance at the homepage) it
looks like it may actually pull it off and be something I could actually
trust. I'm definitely going to dig further into that.