why a part of D community do not want go to D2 ?

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Nov 10 17:11:09 PST 2010

On Wednesday, November 10, 2010 14:52:10 Jesse Phillips wrote:
> Walter Bright Wrote:
> > dsimcha wrote:
> > > Libraries need to make the
> > > simple use cases sufficiently simple that people aren't tempted to roll
> > > their own.
> >
> > Hear hear. For example, one of the goals with D strings was to make them
> > so good that people wouldn't invent their own string classes.
>
> And yet we still get those that want a class, or even limit the capability
> of arrays so that a class is more appealing. (Had a friend that hated the
> idea that D went back to array of characters, then he saw that arrays
> could actually do stuff)

Well, of course his first reaction was negative. Arrays suck in other languages
in comparison to D. Having strings be arrays in C is horrible. I'd be annoyed to
have strings be arrays if you were using Java arrays, and they're a definite
improvement over C - if nothing else because they know their length. Strings as
arrays work in D precisely because D arrays are so awesome. I've never used
another language which had arrays which were even close to as awesome as the
ones in D.

- Jonathan M Davis