why a part of D community do not want go to D2 ?

Andrew Wiley debio264 at gmail.com
Wed Nov 10 17:53:08 PST 2010

On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 5:43 PM, Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes at gmail.com>wrote:

> Andrew Wiley schrieb:
>

>> On Wed, Nov 10, 2010 at 5:27 PM, Daniel Gibson <metalcaedes at gmail.com<mailto:
>> metalcaedes at gmail.com>> wrote:
>>
>>    Andrew Wiley schrieb:
>>

>>        One thought here:
>>        If Tango is still useful in the D world but there isn't too much
>>        enthusiasm about porting it to D2, why not break its
>>        functionality (that isn't already in Phobos 2) down into a set
>>        of supplemental libraries that can be included as needed?
>>

>>    Or just put it in one library and call it "Tango2" or something like
>>    that ;)
>>
>>    (To allow porting of all kinds of Tango programs, about every Tango
>>    class would have to be ported to D2 anyway, so one could just as
>>    well do a proper port. Because of druntime it could coexist with
>>    Phobos2 - which was really the point of druntime for D2.
>>    Unfortunately nobody wanted to do this hitherto).
>>

>> It's also worthy of note that I wasn't addressing the porting of Tango
>> programs specifically. The modular approach does lose there.
>>

> I thought with "[...] the functionality and APIs provided by Tango is still
> available as needed, and porting becomes something that can easily be done
> incrementally."
> you meant porting Tango programs to D2, I'm sorry if I misunderstood.
>
> I guess having some Tango modules (e.g. for Streams or XML) for D2 may be
> useful, until there are an adequate alternatives in Phobos.. but it would
> most probably harm the acceptance of these alternatives, once they're ready.

Well, my assumption was that Phobos 2 was pretty much complete. If more
functionality is planned, then that's definitely a higher priority because
long term, that's a much better solution than any supplemental library.

And yes, D arrays are awesome. The best (solid) evidence I've seen of that
was the performance comparison on XML parsing where Tango utterly destroyed
every other major library.
I can also recall once when I was working on a Java project with the guy
that first introduced me to D, and he had a mysterious class called DArray
in his Java code with strange methods like "slice." A month or so later, I
wound up making a similar class in another project.