Thoughts on parallel programming?

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Nov 10 18:47:46 PST 2010

jfd:

> Any thoughts on parallel programming.  I was looking at something about Chapel
> and X10 languages etc. for parallelism, and it looks interesting.  I know that
> it is still an area of active research, and it is not yet (far from?) done,
> but anyone have thoughts on this as future direction?  Thank you.

In past I have shown here two large posts about Chapel, that's a language contains several good ideas worth stealing, but my posts were mostly ignored.

Chapel is designed for heavy numerical computing on multi-cores or multi-CPUs, it has good ideas of CPU-localization of the work, while D isn't much serious about that kind of parallelism (yet). So far D has instead embraced message-passing, that's fit for other purposes.

Bye,
bearophile