Kill implicit joining of adjacent strings

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Wed Nov 10 19:41:59 PST 2010

On Wednesday 10 November 2010 18:56:02 Brad Roberts wrote:
> Nagging is one way to accomplish change, but it's sure annoying.  If you
> feel the feature is import, you know where to get the source.  Give it a
> shot. Contribution of code is oh so much more valuable than a constant
> stream of "you should change..."
>
> Repeatedly claiming that Walter ignores 'X' is another way to get a
> reaction, but it's also very annoying.  You're far from the only person to
> pull this card out.  Do you _honestly_ believe he's that narrow minded or
> are you just trying to get enough of a rise out of such claims that he'll
> drop what he's doing and focus on your nag-of-the-day?
>
> Sigh.. it get's old, fast.

If nothing else, the sheer number of requests guarantees that they won't all be
done even if they were all great and really should be done. Bearophile does have
a lot of good things to say, but he says so much so often that sometimes it
becomes hard not to just tune him out.

As for this particular request, I tend to agree. I don't see in point in
adjacent strings concatenating. I never write my code that way, and it does seem
error-prone. I'm not sure that I'm all that against it being in the language,
but if it were my choice, I wouldn't have had it.

- Jonathan M Davis