Kill implicit joining of adjacent strings

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Wed Nov 10 20:00:25 PST 2010

Yao G.:

> Stop blaming the compiler for your own carelessness.

If a simple common human error is avoidable at compile-time then it's the duty of the compiler to avoid it. Blaming the programmer is just silly (and it's against one of the main "philosophical" differences between C and D). I suggest you to read some books by Donald Norman about the design of everyday things, and their error-prone interfaces, that explain very well why you are very wrong:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Norman

> I find it useful, and I like it. I like to break long strings into smaller ones
> and put each one in one line. I know that you can do that using one single
> string, but
> some syntax hightlighters don't like it that way.

This string of yours:

string someText = "I find it useful, and I like it. I like to break long strings into smaller ones"
    "and put each one in one line. I know that you can do that using one single string, but"
    "some syntax hightlighters don't like it that way.";

Now becomes:

string someText = "I find it useful, and I like it. I like to break long strings into smaller ones" ~
    "and put each one in one line. I know that you can do that using one single string, but" ~
    "some syntax hightlighters don't like it that way.";

Bye,
bearophile