why a part of D community do not want go to D2 ?

Jacob Carlborg doob at me.com
Thu Nov 11 01:25:52 PST 2010

On 2010-11-10 22:26, Sean Kelly wrote:
> Jacob Carlborg Wrote:

>>> Sorry, that is completely false. druntime was created specifically to
>>> allow Phobos and Tango to co-exist. At the time, almost all of the code
>>> in druntime was written by Sean, and he was leading the Tango runtime
>>> development. The expectation was that Tango would continue to use Sean's
>>> runtime, it was just in a separate project.
>>
>> Of course that would be the preferred way, there should have been some
>> kind of agreement for this (maybe there was but never fulfilled?) But
>> you also have to look at it from Tangos point of view. Why would Tango
>> drop support for anything that isn't DMD 32bit? Or should Tango keep
>> half of it's runtime in it's own repository and for the other half use
>> druntime.
>
> I maintained a D1 branch of druntime for ages thinking that it might be a good transition point for Tango, but no one ever used it.  I was also very careful to avoid creating any incompatibilities with the Tango runtime for quite a while, but finally had to choose between letting the library stagnate in anticipation of an event that would likely never happen and moving forward.  I do still try to avoid changing existing user-facing code though.  Also, if you compare the two now, I think you'll find that the Tango runtime has diverged from the original design far more than druntime, so there's little apparent interest there in facilitating a merge.  Either way, as there's been little apparent effort in porting Tango to D2, this whole discussion is moot.

I can really understand that this can be very frustrating. I don't have
any answers on why Tango didn't adopt druntime. Although as I said
earlier I can think some reasons like no support for other compilers.

>>> Sean took all the code he had written. The other minor contributors did
>>> not yet give permission for their code to be used, so of course it could
>>> not be included.
>>
>> I really think it's a shame they couldn't/wanted to give permission for
>> their code to be used.
>
> There was another simpler reason as well, which was that I didn't want to speculatively maintain code for various compilers or whatever just in case they decided to use druntime one day.  It's far less effort to simply add whatever's needed when that day comes.  Also, I do still feel that the druntime SVN shouldn't have to be the repository used for every compiler runtime or garbage collector implementation.  That was necessary in Tango because Tango was an alternative library, so for any hope of Tango being used we had to do all the work ourselves.  It's far from being an optimal workflow however.

I you don't think that support for other compilers should be in druntime
what do you suggest?

--
/Jacob Carlborg