blog: Overlooked Essentials for Optimizing Code (Software

ruben niemann replies at here.zzz
Thu Nov 11 03:02:17 PST 2010

Diego Cano Lagneaux Wrote:

> Well, I think a simple look at the real world is enough to agree that you
> need several years of experience and good skills. Moreover, my personal
> experience is that it's easier to get a job (and therefore the much needed
> working experience) when you have a 3-year degree than a 5-year one, at
> least in Spain: I've been told at many job interviews that I was
> 'overqualified' (I didn't care about that, just wanted to work, but they
> did)

Same happened to me. I've MSc in computer engineering from a technical university. I began my PhD studies (pattern recognition and computer vision), but put those on hold after the first year because it seemed there isn't much non-academic work on that field and because of other more urgent issues. Four years after getting my MSc I'm still writing user interface html / css / javascript / php in a small enterprise. Hoping to see D or some strongly typed language in use soon. I'm one of the techies running the infrastructure, I should have studied marketing / management if I wanted to go up in the organization and earn more.

> *To me, engineering is the process of creating mechanisms, from
> planification to physical result.

That's my view of the engineering, too.