linker wrapper

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 11 04:54:50 PST 2010

Just saw another linker error in d.learn, and it got me thinking

dmd just calls the linker, and the linker spits out link errors.  But what
if we had a 'linker wrapper' program which translated mangled names into
demangled names?  It would at least help people understand the problem
better.  How many times does a newbie come back and say "I have this
problem, and dmd spits out some weird message I don't understand" and it
takes a person who half-speaks mangled d names to understand what the name
is.

Given that D already includes a demangler, wouldn't it be rather trivial
to write this program in D?

I know it would make my life a bit better.

Thoughts?  Takers?

-Steve