Thoughts on parallel programming?

Fawzi Mohamed fawzi at gmx.ch
Thu Nov 11 09:22:45 PST 2010

On 11-nov-10, at 15:16, Fawzi Mohamed wrote:

> On 11-nov-10, at 09:58, Russel Winder wrote:
>
>> MPI and all the SPMD approaches have a severely limited future, but I
>> bet the HPC codes are still using Fortran and MPI in 50 years time.
>
> well whole array operations are a generalization of the SPMD
> approach, so I this sense you said that that kind of approach will
> have a future (but with a more difficult optimization as the
> hardware is more complex.

sorry I translated that as SIMD, not SPMD, but the answer below still
holds in my opinion, if one has a complex parallel problem mpi is a
worthy contender, the thing is that in many occasions one doesn't need
all its power.
If a client server, a distributed or a map/reduce approach work, then
simpler and more flexible solutions are superior.
That (and its reliability problem, that PGAS also shares) is, in my
opinion, the reason MPI is not very used outside the computational
community.
Being able to tackle also MPMD in a good way can be useful, and that
is what the rpc level does between computers, and the event based
scheduling within a single computer (ensuring that one processor can
do meaningful work while the other waits.