why a part of D community do not want go to D2 ?

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Thu Nov 11 11:34:04 PST 2010

Bernard Helyer Wrote:

> On Wed, 10 Nov 2010 16:26:52 -0500, Sean Kelly wrote:
> > Also, I do still feel
> > that the druntime SVN shouldn't have to be the repository used for every
> > compiler runtime or garbage collector implementation.
>
> I am attempting to write a compiler in D2 (github.com/bhelyer/SDC), and I
> can't help but feel that rewriting druntime, or picking out the
> relatively benign parts would be a difficult, bug filled task. I don't
> see a realistic alternative to druntime compatibility.  I also feel that
> having all implementations share the GC implementation means that
> improvements there will improve everywhere else. If I weren't to use
> druntime's GC, then I would use the Boehm collector, but I feel using
> druntime is more beneficial than not.

I absolutely believe that druntime should be used by D2 compilers.  The only issue is staying in sync with the main druntime repository.  Perhaps a different VCS would make this easier though.  Maybe git?  Functionally, all you'd need to do is replace src/object_.d and src/rt/* with your own code, assuming that you didn't want to use the DMD stuff as-is.