Thoughts on parallel programming?

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Thu Nov 11 12:14:56 PST 2010

Thu, 11 Nov 2010 20:01:09 +0000, retard wrote:

> in CPUs the
> problems with programmability are slowing things down and many laptops
> are still dual-core despite multiple cores are more energy efficient
> than higher GHz and my home PC has 8 virtual cores in a single CPU.

At least it seems so to me. My last 1 and 2 core systems had a TDP of 65
and 105W. Now it's 130W, the next gen have 12 cores and 130W TDP.

So I currently have 8 CPU cores and 480 GPU cores. Unfortunately many
open source applications don't use the GPU (maybe OpenGL 1.0 but usually
software rendering. The gpu accelerated desktops are still buggy and
crash prone) and are single threaded. Even some heavier tasks like video
encoding uses cores very inefficiently. Would MPI help?