Thoughts on parallel programming?

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Thu Nov 11 12:53:07 PST 2010

Russel Winder wrote:
> Agreed.  My point was that in 1960s code people explicitly handled array
> operations using do loops because they had to.  Nowadays such code is
> anathema to efficient execution.  My complaint here is that people have
> put effort into compiler technology instead of rewriting the codes in a
> better language and/or idiom.  Clearly whole array operations only apply
> to algorithms that involve arrays!

Yup. I am bemused by the efforts put into analyzing loops so that they can (by
the compiler) be re-written into a higher level construct, and then the higher
level construct is compiled.

It just is backwards what the compiler should be doing. The high level construct
is what the programmer should be writing. It shouldn't be something the compiler
reconstructs from low level source code.