Kill implicit joining of adjacent strings

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Thu Nov 11 15:33:20 PST 2010

Now this discussion seems settled enough, so I may summarize its results a little (please fix this list if you see an error):

- Andrei Alexandrescu has said this idea doesn't harm but he sees not much evidence this is a problem in C/C++.
- Don has not said how much he likes the idea, but he has shown no technical opposition against it, and I think he may accept it.
- Sean Kelly sees no technical problems in the idea, and I think he accepts it.
- Steven Schveighoffer likes the idea.
- Vladimir Panteleev likes the idea.
- Manfred Nowak seems to like the idea.
- Michel Fortin seems to like this idea.
- Yao G. is opposed (but he has shown to not consider the usage of ~ to concat lines).
- dennis luehring likes the idea.
- klickverbot agrees with the idea.
- Jonathan M Davis agrees with the idea.
- Rainer Deyke has suggested a problem that may be solved or doesn't exists.
- spir seems now more or less OK with the idea, but I am not sure.
- so seems a OK with the idea now, but I am not sure.
- I like this idea.
- Brad Roberts has expressed no opinion on the topic.

On average the answers seem positive. So, Walter are you willing to deprecate automatic joining of adjacent strings (and later turn it into a syntax error, the error message may suggest to add a ~)?

Bye,
bearophile