why a part of D community do not want go to D2 ?

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Thu Nov 11 22:11:33 PST 2010

"spir" <denis.spir at gmail.com> wrote in message
news:mailman.283.1289507692.21107.digitalmars-d at puremagic.com...
On Thu, 11 Nov 2010 09:40:05 -0800

>A "user-perceived character" (also strangely called
>"grapheme" in unicode docs) can be represented by an
>arbitrary number of code _units_ (up to 8 in their test data, but
>there is no actual limit). What a code unit represents is, say, a
>"scripting mark". In "â", there are 2 of them. For legacy
>reasons, UCS also includes "precombined characters", so that
>"â" can also be represented by a single code, indeed. But the
>above form is valid, it's even arguably the base form for
>"â" (and most composite chars cannot be represented by a
>single code).

Minor rant:

Sometimes I'm nostalgic for for utter simplicity of ASCII and look at all
the complexity of all the international symbols out there and think "Well,
ok, so Unicode's not as simple, but it is necessary. It can't be as simple
as ASCII and still work. And code-units/code-points, and UTF8 vs UTF16 vs
UTF32 really aren't all *that* bad, all things considered."

Then something comes along and reminds me that Unicode decided to toss in
multiple ways to represent the same damn character in a *single* encoding
scheme, and then I just want to slap them. Like the precombined vs
non-precombined characters. And how they responded to the \n vs \r\n mess by
adding *another* newline character (Really? That's supposed to help?
REALLY?!?).