Kill implicit joining of adjacent strings

dennis luehring dl.soluz at gmx.net
Fri Nov 12 00:39:54 PST 2010

Am 12.11.2010 00:33, schrieb bearophile:
> Now this discussion seems settled enough, so I may summarize its results a little (please fix this list if you see an error):
>
> - Andrei Alexandrescu has said this idea doesn't harm but he sees not much evidence this is a problem in C/C++.
> - Don has not said how much he likes the idea, but he has shown no technical opposition against it, and I think he may accept it.
> - Sean Kelly sees no technical problems in the idea, and I think he accepts it.
> - Steven Schveighoffer likes the idea.
> - Vladimir Panteleev likes the idea.
> - Manfred Nowak seems to like the idea.
> - Michel Fortin seems to like this idea.
> - Yao G. is opposed (but he has shown to not consider the usage of ~ to concat lines).
> - dennis luehring likes the idea.
> - klickverbot agrees with the idea.
> - Jonathan M Davis agrees with the idea.
> - Rainer Deyke has suggested a problem that may be solved or doesn't exists.
> - spir seems now more or less OK with the idea, but I am not sure.
> - so seems a OK with the idea now, but I am not sure.
> - I like this idea.
> - Brad Roberts has expressed no opinion on the topic.
>
> On average the answers seem positive. So, Walter are you willing to deprecate automatic joining of adjacent strings (and later turn it into a syntax error, the error message may suggest to add a ~)?
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

thanks bearopile, i think you made the first step installing an maybe
good working idea approval process - let people throw together their
pros and cons, and then post an was-that-your-opinion-message
that could ease the decision process for walter,andrei etc. alot - and
you can tell others that walter,andrei,ect..... agreed with you're idea
- that stops re-dicussions

but the information,results must be published in an more official way
digitalmars.com/d/reviews.html or something like that, not an hidden
wiki-page somewhere or an personal page like the inoffical wishlist