One year of Go

Petr janda.petr at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 03:46:21 PST 2010

I haven't done any real Go programming, hell I haven't done any real D programming
either, although I own the D programming language book, but from what I've seen
and read about Go, the language just doesn't cut it for any serious application
development where flexibility and power (both to the programmer and raw speed) is
needed. We all know D evolved from C++, and I hope it stays true to those good
principles set out by C++, and leave the bad(template's that are often hard to
understand, lack of standard threading/locking library, and few others) ones and
provide BETTER substitute for them(which D does from what i've found so far).
Personally I don't care for garbage collection, although I think D should provide
one because a GC is useful in many situations, but at the same time it should
retain the full capabilities of manual memory management that C and C++ offer.

D should not obstruct a programmer, it should enhance him/her.

Petr

PS Andrei: if you read this, then let me say BIG thanks for your participation in
D. I'm slowly going through your Modern C++ through the past 6 months (yes im
busy, but it's also heavy reading at times, but definately great), you made me a
convert to functors and policy based class design.