One year of Go

Pillsy pillsbury at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 07:14:07 PST 2010

uriel_follower wrote:

> Pillsy Wrote:
[...]
> > At this point I'm mystified as to why language designers just keep
> > on making this same mistake by leaving support for generic
> > programming out of their statically typed languages. Java and C#
> > had to graft generics onto their languages after the fact; why
> > ignore that?

> Can you please explain when have you missed them?

I haven't even bothered trying Go because lacking support for generics is so obviously the Wrong Thing[tm].
[...]
> Specially now the new append() builtin has taken care of most of
> the remaining cases where generics might have been marginally
> useful.

Wait, why did they need to introduce a *whole new builtin*? Why should this have to be builtin *at all*?
[...]
> Because nobody ever reused any code in languages without
> generics!

Re-using code in statically typed languages is harder if they don't have generics.

And after seeing people say, "Oh, yeah, you really don't need generics in our language!" a few times only to sheepishly bolt them on a few years later doesn't inspire much confidence this time around.

Cheers,
Pillsy