One year of Go

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Fri Nov 12 09:38:39 PST 2010

On 11/12/10 6:58 AM, uriel_follower wrote:
> Pillsy Wrote:
>
>> jfd wrote:
>>
>>> == Quote from Andrei Alexandrescu
>>> (SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org)'s article

eaturbrainz's problem is what convinced me of the true value of
>>> generics.
>>
>> At this point I'm mystified as to why language designers just keep
>> on making this same mistake by leaving support for generic
>> programming out of their statically typed languages. Java and C#
>> had to graft generics onto their languages after the fact; why
>> ignore that?
>
> Can you please explain when have you missed them? Because after
> writing quite a bit of Go code, and talking with other people that
> has written even more Go code, almost nobody has found this to be an
> issue.

I find this question extremely disingenuous, and that it is repeated so
often reflects poorly on Go. It makes the asker look patronizing - like
she considers potential Go users gullible beginners.

There's no need to "explain when generics are needed" or "provide an
example when generics are useful". Generic code is everywhere to see for
anyone who's not in denial. What should one do, paste some random code
with generics in the response? Link to the STL or various other
collection libraries? Sheesh.

Andrei