One year of Go

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Fri Nov 12 12:07:53 PST 2010

On 11/12/2010 01:31 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> I haven't dismissed Go because it clearly has done a lot of things
> right.  But stumbling across something like this in my first 5
> minutes with the language doesn't instill a lot of confidence.

There are dozens of design decisions to make in a language, and they
chose one poorly. They certainly aren't the first with regards to
semicolons, and D has plenty of similar issues (like not taking the
opportunity to fix C's case fallthrough).

It's hard to reconcile that you think they did a lot of things right
with statements like "seeing something like this in the beginning of the
tutorial makes it difficult for me to take them seriously". You never
mentioned anything positive in your original post; it certainly sounded
like you just dismissed the language.

The lack of generics and dangerous concurrency are much bigger issues.
If D can actually be shown to be a useful concurrent language, instead
of the buggy and incomplete mess it is now, then it might have something
to crow about.