The D Scripting Language

Andrew Wiley debio264 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 12 13:11:26 PST 2010

2010/11/12 div0 <div0 at sourceforge.net>

> On 12/11/2010 19:42, sybrandy wrote:
>
>> 2. Make Windows to open .d files with rdmd by default, so I could run
>>> them
>>> with simple double-click
>>>

>> You should be able to do this yourself quite easily by right-clicking on
>> the D file and associating it with rdmd. I'd give better instructions
>> except I'm not on a Windows machine right now.
>>
>> Casey
>>

> Yes you can do it yourself, but if you want it to work seamlessly, DMD
> would need an installer to set-up that registration.
>
> Can't say I'm in favour of it; windows has enough security holes as it is,
> without allowing a powerful compiler to kick off with an inadvertent click.

That sounds good until you think of comparable situations. Python does this,
Perl does this, heck, if allowing powerful things to start with an
inadvertent click, why do we have batch files? Why do we have executables?
Being able to run things by clicking on them is a feature, not a security
hole. It only becomes a security hole when the user doesn't watch what they
click. The tradeoff between convenience and protection there hasn't ever
been considered because the protection definitely isn't worth the
inconvenience of having to start everything from a command prompt.

Andrew Wiley