Basic standard graphics

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Nov 12 13:39:54 PST 2010

The RosettaCode site has a good list of simple and very small tasks that are a good test for how much simple in a language is doing simple things (like the Scriptometer site, but with a wider spectrum, and less competition).

The "Image Noise" task asks:
Generate a random black and white 320x240 image continuously, showing FPS (frames per second).

This is the PureBasic implementation, it's far from being nice, but it's short and it's doesn't contain lot of magic:
http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Image_Noise#PureBasic

I don't know if D will have a built-in GUIs kit (like Delphi or Tcl), but how much simple&short will be a D implementation of the "Image Noise" task?

Even if D will not have a built-in GUI kit included in its standard distribution zip, is it worth having in Phobos a basic graphics interface, so writing simple graphics programs will be standard, regardless the usage of GTK, WX, Aero, or other systems under it?

Do you know the language named "processing"? It is a kind of subset of Java, and it's designed to show an interactive graphics window. It's used a lot, and I am appreciating and using it for several years:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Processing_%28programming_language%29
http://processing.org/
A person has even created a partial JavaScript interpreter for it:
http://processingjs.org/
(There are several similar projects for Python, some of them are nice, but no one of them is very famous, I don't know why).

A basic standard graphics interface/API for D will allow to quickly implement something like the "processing" language based on D.

Bye,
bearophile