One year of Go

Sean Kelly sean at invisibleduck.org
Fri Nov 12 15:15:15 PST 2010

Jeff Nowakowski Wrote:

> On 11/12/2010 01:31 PM, Sean Kelly wrote:
> > I haven't dismissed Go because it clearly has done a lot of things
> > right.  But stumbling across something like this in my first 5
> > minutes with the language doesn't instill a lot of confidence.
>
> There are dozens of design decisions to make in a language, and they
> chose one poorly. They certainly aren't the first with regards to
> semicolons, and D has plenty of similar issues (like not taking the
> opportunity to fix C's case fallthrough).

This issue with Go doesn't seem like a deliberate design decision so much as a mistake that was for some reason documented instead of simply being fixed.  I don't think it's in the same class as the D switch behavior.

> It's hard to reconcile that you think they did a lot of things right
> with statements like "seeing something like this in the beginning of the
> tutorial makes it difficult for me to take them seriously". You never
> mentioned anything positive in your original post; it certainly sounded
> like you just dismissed the language.

To be honest, I haven't spent much time with Go because my cursory exposure to the language hasn't shown it to solve the problems I care about better than the languages I currently use.  I think Go is in the right ballpark with channels though, and the rest is passable.  I'm trying to withhold my opinion about the lack of generics and such and evaluate the language based on what's there.