Function, signatures and tuples

Russel Winder russel at russel.org.uk
Sat Nov 13 00:03:23 PST 2010

On Fri, 2010-11-12 at 11:15 -0800, Andrei Alexandrescu wrote:
> On 11/12/10 11:13 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> > Is there an easy explanation of why I cannot do:
> >
> >          real partialSum ( immutable Tuple ! ( long , long , real )
> >          data )
> >
> > but instead have to do:
> >
> >          real partialSum ( T ... ) ( T data )
> >
> > to be frank I really don't get this latter which is what compiles -- I
> > have no idea if it works yet there are other problems with my code.
> > Specifically, how do I create an array of tuples?
>
> Doesn't this help?
>
> auto tuples = new Tuple!(long, long, real)[128];
>
> Tuple is a type like any other.

I noted in a separate email that:

        auto inputData = new Tuple ! ( long , long , real )
        [ numberOfThreads ] ;

causes the error message:

        pi_d2_parallelMap.d(30): Error: template instance template 'Tuple' is not defined
        pi_d2_parallelMap.d(30): Error: Tuple!(long,long,real) is used as a type

Clearly code you think is right and that is expected to work on D 2.050
isn't working for me :-(  So either I guess there is a bug in D or, much
more likely, I am doing something wrong.

--
Russel.
41 Buckmaster Road    m: +44 7770 465 077   xmpp: russel at russel.org.uk