One year of Go

retard re at tard.com.invalid
Sat Nov 13 02:52:08 PST 2010

Sat, 13 Nov 2010 10:48:00 +0000, Russel Winder wrote:

> On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 08:51 +0000, retard wrote: [ . . . ]
>> There's also the software transactional memory technology.
>
> I am ambivalent about STM.  Haskell has it, Clojure has it, Intel have a
> variant for C and C++ but are trying to quietly ignore it.  Sun even
> tried to put hardware support for transactional memory into a chip --
> but the sale of Sun to Oracle has terminated that work.
>
> On the one hand STM is just a sticking plaster trying to allow shared
> memory multithreading to work as though there was no need for
> synchronization and care on the part of the programmer.   On the other
> hand it makes shared-memory multithreading less full of locks,
> semaphores and monitors.
>
> All in all, unless STM gets picked up and widely used in C, C++, Java
> and Scala -- also D of course :-) -- I don't see it going anywhere.

Certainly. But it does solve the problem in many cases, right? At least
I'm willing to use technologies that solve the problem. The popularity
doesn't matter that much.

The fact that the Sun's project was terminated might have more to do with
politics and how it could bring profit to Oracle. Many good projects have
been abandoned. The STM causes some overhead and the hardware could be
used to mitigate that.