Basic standard graphics

spir denis.spir at gmail.com
Sat Nov 13 02:56:50 PST 2010

On Fri, 12 Nov 2010 16:39:54 -0500
bearophile <bearophileHUGS at lycos.com> wrote:

> The "Image Noise" task asks:
> Generate a random black and white 320x240 image continuously, showing FPS (frames per second).
>
> This is the PureBasic implementation, it's far from being nice, but it's short and it's doesn't contain lot of magic:
> http://rosettacode.org/wiki/Image_Noise#PureBasic
>
> I don't know if D will have a built-in GUIs kit (like Delphi or Tcl), but how much simple&short will be a D implementation of the "Image Noise" task?
>
> Even if D will not have a built-in GUI kit included in its standard distribution zip, is it worth having in Phobos a basic graphics interface, so writing simple graphics programs will be standard, regardless the usage of GTK, WX, Aero, or other systems under it?

I'm 100% for this proposal. Not necessarily in Phobos -- but having such a tool available for quick & easy graphical output, such as drawing a function's curve, is definitely a great idea.

Now, the PureBasic example does this via a GUI/event loop window. It's not what I have in mind for my use cases. Rather, I would be in favor of a simple graphic frame that could be used like in good old times we used to draw directly on the video -- when this was easy to do, just using x,y pixel coordinates. Optionnally, a set of plotting/drawing routines, including vector image primitives.
(An inspiration for this may be Logo.)

I have no idea how to implement the base graphic frame, but once it's in place, I would certainly help in feeding the module with useful routines.

Denis
vit esse estrany ☣

spir.wikidot.com