One year of Go

Jeff Nowakowski jeff at dilacero.org
Sat Nov 13 07:17:02 PST 2010

On 11/13/2010 03:17 AM, Russel Winder wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-11-13 at 09:07 +0800, Boris Wang wrote:
>> Just about generic, I think, C no generic, so Go no generic, it's a
>> good enough reason.
>
> That may be the mindset, I do not know, we would have to ask Rob Pike
> and Russ Cox.  However, if that is the argument then they have
> definitely got it wrong if they want to work with complex homogeneous
> data structures using static typing.

Boris's stated reason is terrible and wrong. If "good enough for C" was
the design rationale, then there would be no need for another language
outside of C.

Rob Pike stated in his first big talk about Go that there are no
generics because they couldn't find a good way to make them fit in the
language. He did say that there was less need for them in Go, but also
left open the possibility that they could be added at a later time.