linker wrapper

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Sat Nov 13 19:14:21 PST 2010

Andrew Wiley:

> Learning to
> operate a compiler and linker is a fundamental part of programming pretty
> much any compiled language, and taking it away encourages the user to not
> care how their code becomes an executable. To me, this seems like a large
> disservice.

Many new programmers don't want to know how to read linker mangled error messages, how to use a linker, or sometimes even what a linker is. Less and less people will want to use languages that force people to know those things. I have used Delphi for medium sized programs not caring much about its linker.

If you don't even see the usefulness of more readable linker errors then... why are where here? Aren't we trying to improve older languages? :-)

Bye,
bearophile