linker wrapper

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Sun Nov 14 00:48:45 PST 2010

On 11/14/2010 00:09, Walter Bright wrote:
> I suspect that trying to guess what modules should be added to the
> linker list may cause far more confusion than enlightenment when it goes
> awry. Currently, a lot of people seem to regard what a linker does as
> magic. Making it more magical won't help.

It seems completely straightforward to me.  If module A imports module
B, then module A depends on module B, therefore compiling and linking
module A should also cause module B to be compiled and linked.  Apply
recursively.  The only part of this that is remotely difficult - mapping
module names to files on the disk - is already done by the compiler.

This would only happen when compiling and linking as a single step,
which would be the preferred way to invoke DMD.  When linking as a
separate step, all object files would still need to be individually
passed to the linker.

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com