std.date

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Tue Nov 16 11:11:05 PST 2010

I have moaned several times about the fact that this module does not have a method for creating a date from the system clock.

It provides a parse method to convert a string in a limited number of formats. In the course of doing that, it calls the OS primitive to get the time zone offset.

So why the omission? If it's going to use the OS, why not go the whole hog.

It also strikes me as odd that it does not include a table of leap seconds. As it stands, some of its methods could return values that were out by a year for up to four or five seconds on January 1 2011. I'm no expert on UTC, Gregorian Calendar and such, so I could well be wrong, but ....

Phobos doesn't really need the burden of such tasks. Most OS's provide regular upgrades that cover this stuff.

Steve