std.date

Jonathan M Davis jmdavisProg at gmx.com
Tue Nov 16 22:25:09 PST 2010

On Tuesday 16 November 2010 21:08:48 Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> On Tue, 16 Nov 2010 20:17:53 -0500, Jonathan M Davis <jmdavisProg at gmx.com>
>
> wrote:
> > (DST is one of the stupidest ideas even IMHO; I don't even
> > want to _think_ about how many bugs it's created)
>
> No, the stupidest idea was to *change* DST a few years ago.  That had
> absolutely no purpose, I can't even believe we wasted tax dollars on
> pushing that through congress.

Granted, that was definitely stupid, but DST does cause bugs all over the place.
Of course, for getting rid of it to help, you'd have to get rid of it globally,
and even then, it wouldn't really help except in apps that didn't care about
historic dates at all, because we've had DST in the past. Not to mention, many
programs which work properly with DST would probably break if it were abolished.
So, getting rid of it at this point probably wouldn't help anywhere near as much
as it would seem (though it still wouldn't hurt my feelings any if they did).
Regardless, its existence has caused all kinds of bugs for computers over the
years.

Now, changing it just causes bugs without fixing _anything_ as far as software is
concerned, so that was just stupid, but I can dream of a world without DST...

- Jonathan M Davis