RFC, ensureHeaped

Rainer Deyke rainerd at eldwood.com
Tue Nov 16 23:03:05 PST 2010

On 11/16/2010 21:53, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:
> It makes me think that this is going to be extremely confusing for a
> while, because people are so used to pure being equated with a
> functional language, so when they see a function is pure but takes
> mutable data, they will be scratching their heads.  It would be awesome
> to make weakly pure the default, and it would also make it so we have to
> change much less code.

Making functions weakly pure by default means that temporarily adding a
tiny debug printf to any function will require a shitload of cascading
'impure' annotations.  I would consider that completely unacceptable.

(Unless, of course, purity is detected automatically without the use of
annotations at all.)

Rainer Deyke - rainerd at eldwood.com