"In praise of Go" discussion on ycombinator

Jay Byrd JayByrd at rebels.com
Tue Nov 16 23:56:09 PST 2010

On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 00:58:28 -0500, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

> On Wed, 17 Nov 2010 00:24:50 -0500, Andrei Alexandrescu
>
>> On 11/16/10 9:21 PM, Steven Schveighoffer wrote:

>>> "I like go because every single feature go has is the best ever!"
>>>
>>> yawn...
>>>
>>> -Steve
>>
>> I'm curious what the response to my example will be. So far I got one
>> that doesn't even address it.
>
> It's possible that you left your point as an exercise for the reader, so
> it may be lost.
>
> But it's not important.  It's unlikely that you will convince goers that
> the language deficiencies are not worth the advantages.  Only time will
> tell how popular/useful it will be.  That one point you made would be a
> deal-killer for me (not that I'm close to using Go or anything, but no
> need to invest any more time on it after that).

The problem pointed out can readily be fixed by requiring statements to
have at least one token. go has much more severe problems than that. And
there are plenty of bugs and mistakes in D, harder to fix, that could be
deemed "deal-killers" by someone with an axe to grind. It's not an
intellectually honest approach.

> (cue retard's comment about D zealots not having any open mindedness)
>
> -Steve

No zealots are open minded. That's why I'm a supporter of various things
but not a zealot about anything.