"In praise of Go" discussion on ycombinator

Nick Sabalausky a at a.a
Wed Nov 17 06:39:04 PST 2010

"Andrei Alexandrescu" <SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org> wrote in message
news:ic03ui$gjg$1 at digitalmars.com...
> On 11/17/10 12:00 AM, Jay Byrd wrote:

>>> I really don't see the problem with requiring that '{' goes on the same
>>> line as 'if'.
>>
>> It *isn't* required. But if you don't put it there, *you get the wrong
>> result*. I really don't understand why the problem with Andrei's example
>> isn't blatantly obvious to everyone, but I would not want to use any
>> product of anyone for whom it isn't.
>
> Exactly, that comes as a big surprise to me, too, in that discussion. I
> can only hypothesize that some readers just glaze over the example
> thinking "ah, whatever... a snippet trying to support some naysay", and
> they reply armed with that presupposition.

Sad as it may be, most people, and worse still, most programmers, have no
qualms about "safety by convention". That's why they don't see this as a big
problem. Safety-by-convention is one of those things that's only recognized
as a real problem by people with enough self-discipline and people who have
actually been burned enough by dong it wrong.