std.date

Stewart Gordon smjg_1998 at yahoo.com
Thu Nov 18 18:36:59 PST 2010

On 16/11/2010 19:11, Steve Teale wrote:
> I have moaned several times about the fact that this module does not
> have a method for creating a date from the system clock.

Does getUTCtime() not do this?  What does it do then?

<snip>
> It also strikes me as odd that it does not include a table of leap
> seconds.
<snip>

What, exactly, would it do with this table?

std.date works internally in Unix time.  I don't know what platforms
have leap second support in the system clock.  But one thing I do know
is that Unix time, which is what std.date works in, is defined so that
23:59:60.xxx has the same value as 00:00:00.xxx the following day.

FWIW, my utility library
http://pr.stewartsplace.org.uk/d/sutil/
makes it possible to store leap second times, but otherwise doesn't do
anything with them.

It also includes a custom formatting scheme that's better than any other
I've seen.

Stewart.