Shared pain

bearophile bearophileHUGS at lycos.com
Fri Nov 19 08:23:44 PST 2010

Steve Teale:

> Languages can't be designed just on theory - some recognition of
> practicality is also required.

In the case of creation of immutable data structures it looks the opposite to me: DMD is too much pragmatic and there isn't enough theory behind it :-)

> But design limitations like that will force programmers who are on a
> tight schedule to just say __gshared, and to hell with it.

Regarding the creation of immutable data structures, there is a proposal that is probably able to remove some of the pain: the result of strongly pure functions may become implicitly castable to immutable.

Bye,
bearophile