Shared pain

Steve Teale steve.teale at britseyeview.com
Fri Nov 19 08:42:21 PST 2010

On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 11:23:44 -0500, bearophile wrote:

> Regarding the creation of immutable data structures, there is a proposal
> that is probably able to remove some of the pain: the result of strongly
> pure functions may become implicitly castable to immutable.
>
> Bye,
> bearophile

BP,

I admire your dedication to language theory and purity, but there are
many who'd translate that to impracticality and obscurity.

I came to D in the first place because I found it refreshingly clear and
easy to use after C++ and Java. But now it's getting painful.

I've bailed out several times, just keep coming back to see how it is
doing. I have a bunch of code that worked with D1 and D2 at one time.
I've given up on D1, since it is now obviously legacy, but even without
the complexity of supporting both, It's been real hard this visit to get
things working again.

What's your estimate of how long it will be before D is a stable language?

Thanks
Steve